Painted Rock Petroglyph Site (Bureau of Land Management)
(March 18-20, 2018)
We first tried to stop at a state park, but the cost was too dear, so we kept going and came across this park near Gila Bend. The petroglyph park is 12 miles off the highway, and I guess that is enough to keep people away, so it’s very quiet. It is a pilot BLM campground, which means there are actual sites with firepits, pit-toilets, and trash bins. The cost is $8/night.
The sites are large and well-spaced, so this is quite a deal. There are lots of hiking trails and as the name suggests, petroglyphs. There is no cell coverage, though. We needed to make a very important phone call on Monday (March 19), so we had to drive up a hill until we could get a connection. I’ll write a post about the important phone call later.
Here is Daisy under her picnic shelter. This screen is for keeping flies off food, but it works very well to keep flies off Shih Tzus. You can see that fly on the outside by her tail. No Daisy for you!
The flies bite, and Paul’s skin reacted to the bites again. He was covered in welts.
The petroglyphs are just a short stroll from the campground, and are easily accessible.
There was so much open space, so Poppy enjoyed her walks. Lizards are fast, so she had lots of entertainment.
We also bumped into a couple we had met in Borrego Springs, Bob and Sandi, just like my parents! We were so surprised when we saw Sandi zip by us on her bike. They told us such interesting and funny stories about when they lived in Canada (Sandi is Canadian). They should write a book!
After this park, we headed back to Yuma so that we could say good-bye to my aunt and uncle. Yes, sadly, all the snowbirds have to head north now. We start our journey north on Monday March 26, but we will go slowly. Thirty centimetres of snow fell today in our town in Saskatchewan. We want to give it some time to melt. The Chinook is our little snow melter, but I don’t think it is a match for Saskatchewan right now.
drive reeeeeally slow! Temps are supposed to hit -20 again at the end of the week! Can’t wait for April !!!!
Eek! You’re terrifying me! We are now considering entering Canada in BC. Hopefully that will work.